For local foodies, the most wonderful time of the year is San Antonio's Restaurant Week. Thanks to Culinaria, a local nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching San Antonio and promoting our city as a top food and wine destination, we're gearing up to eat and indulge January 18 through 23.
Here's how it works: Throughout the week, participating restaurants will offer preset three-course menus for lunch and dinner with two tiers to choose from. There are more than 50 tier-one restaurants offering lunch for $15 and dinner for $35, and six tier-two restaurants offering lunch for $10 and dinner for $25. You're not required to make a reservation to participate in Restaurant Week, but it's strongly encouraged to call in advance for a table.
We've already secured reservations for some of our favorite restaurants participating, including:
- Ocho at Hotel Havana. We are looking forward to Ocho's beer-centric "Shiner prix-fixe menu" with Shiner Blonde beer-cheese soup, beer-braised venison osso buco, and black stout cake.
- Sustenio at Eilan Hotel. Sustenio's interesting dinner menu is making our mouth water with a choice of sugar-roasted pear salad or crispy “buffalo” sweetbread to start, wood-fired Gulf Coast snapper for an entree, and a beet parfait for dessert.
- Biga on the Banks. We're also dining at one of our city's classics, Biga on the Banks. The menu features shrimp bisque with red-pepper harissa, grilled beets, ricotta, arugula, and sherry; a choice between short ribs and seared natural scallops; and blood-orange cheesecake or dark-chocolate icebox pie for dessert.
- Nao Latin Gastro Bar. For dinner later in the week we've chosen Nao, whose four-course meal for $35 features a winter squash soup, hamachi tiradito, braised beef cheeks or pork stew, and a pound cake.
- Thai Topaz. Looking for a lunch spot? Thai Topaz is offering tom kha chicken soup, pad thai, curry, and homemade ice cream. Other top restaurants we're trying on the tier-two list include Bavarian Brauhaus, and Tacos and Tequila.
To see which of your favorite eateries are participating in Restaurant Week, visit culinariasa.org.
Want more great stories like these delivered to your inbox daily? Then sign up for our emails.