one big happy family
San Antonio declared one of the best family getaways in the South by Southern Living
Readers of Southern Living magazine are heaping praise on San Antonio.
In the magazine’s sixth annual South’s Best Awards, the Alamo City earns a No. 8 ranking the South’s best family getaways, and gets some shoutouts for many of its bars and restaurants and nearby amenities.
San Antonio’s Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort & Spa unlocks the No. 7 spot on the list of the South’s best resorts, and Weathered Souls Brewing Co. is listed among the South’s best breweries, at No. 17.
Naegelin’s Bakery in New Braunfels made the list of the South’s best bakeries, at No. 8, while beloved local spot La Panadería Bakery Café comes in at No. 13 and Bakery Lorraine in San Antonio lands at No. 18.
Hill Country getaway destination Fredericksburg nails down the No. 4 ranking among the South’s best small towns.
Though San Antonio did not make the cut on Southern Living’s coveted list of the South’s Best Cities for 2022, nearby Austin earned the No. 6 ranking on that list. Charleston, South Carolina, grabs the No. 1 spot, showing up Dallas at No. 12 and Houston at No. 13.
In addition, San Marcos lands at No. 16 among the South’s best college towns, while College Station comes in at No. 11.
Elsewhere in Texas:
- Fort Worth holds the No. 7 spot on the list of the South’s best cities on the rise, and Frisco sits at No. 11.
- Port Aransas swims into the No. 14 position on the list of the South’s best beach towns.
- South Padre Island washes ashore at No. 10 among the South’s best family getaways.
- Conroe makes waves as the eighth-ranked lake town in the South.
- Brazos Bend State Park, about 45 miles from Houston, sits at No. 9 among the best state parks in the South.
- The Hill Country’s Bluebonnet Trail parks at No. 7 on the list of the South’s best scenic drives.
- Three Texas breweries pour onto the list of the South’s best breweries: Deep Ellum Brewing Co. in Dallas at No. 6, Guadalupe Brewing Co. in New Braunfels at No. 7, and Weathered Souls Brewing Co. in San Antonio at No. 17.
- Texas whips up four spots on the list of the South’s best bakeries: Naegelin’s Bakery in New Braunfels at No. 8, La Panadería Bakery Café in San Antonio at No. 13, Bakery Lorraine in San Antonio at No. 18, and Village Baking Co. in Dallas at No. 20.
- Space Center Houston appears at No. 2 among the South’s best museums, and the Dallas Museum of Art appears at No. 9.
The rankings were culled from a 2021 survey of Southern Living readers.
“No one knows this region better than the Southern Living audience, and that’s why we tap into their experiences and solicit their opinions every year to determine the South’s best,” Sid Evans, editor-in-chief of Southern Living, says in a news release. “This year’s deeply reported list is our most comprehensive yet, with some surprising new favorites as well as the classics that keep reinventing themselves.”