Raises for everyone
2 San Antonio employers clock in among Fortune's 100 best companies to work
Hunting for a job in San Antonio? A new ranking from Fortune magazine suggests you might consider two local companies.
USAA and NuStar both rank on Fortune’s 2020 list of the 100 Best Companies to Work For, published February 18.
Fortune bases its annual list of the best workplaces on a nationwide study done by analytics firm Great Place to Work. This time around, the study featured input from more than 4.1 million U.S. workers who responded to over 60 survey questions.
San Antonio-based financial services provider USAA ranked 55, a tumble from last year’s rank at 30. Still, Fortune points to USAA's commitment to diversity and community engagement among the benefits of working for the company.
"Diversity and inclusion represent another key area of focus for the insurance company, and in addition to initiatives that have helped the company achieve a 50 percent nonwhite workforce, USAA provides assistance programs like family counseling, college coaching, and support for differently abled employees," Fortune notes.
Making its debut on the list at No. 86. is San Antonio-based oil pipeline and terminal operator NuStar Energy LP. Last year it was unranked.
Community and charity is engrained into the company's culture, and 100 percent of employees donate to United Way. “Even the highest levels of executive management participate in charity events,” one employee told Fortune.
Six other Texas-based employers also appear on this year’s list:
15. Arlington-based Texas Health Resources ranks first among Texas-based employers and 15th nationwide. Last year, the organization ranked ninth nationwide.
18. Houston-based apartment owner and operator Camden Property Trust. Last year’s rank: 19.
23. Houston-based homebuilder David Weekley Homes. Last year’s rank: 41.
66. Dallas-based Ryan LLC, a provider of tax software and services. Last year’s rank: 52.
70. Houston-based oil and gas production company Hilcorp Energy Co. Last year’s rank: Unranked.
88. Dallas-based Encompass Health Home Health & Hospice, part of Birmingham, Alabama-based Encompass Health Corp. Last year’s rank: 54.
Nationwide, McLean, Virginia-based Hilton Worldwide Holdings Inc. ranks first on this year’s Fortune list, followed by Weston, Florida-based Ultimate Software Group Inc., Rochester, New York-based Wegmans Food Markets Inc., San Jose, California-based Cisco Systems Inc., and Pleasanton, California-based Workday Inc.