Festive Christmas pop-up bar puts San Antonio on its nice list
A festive holiday tradition featuring cocktails returns: The famed Christmas-themed pop-up bar Miracle is coming back to town, with installations at 90 bars across the U.S., including San Antonio.
Miracle takes over existing bars and transforms them into a temporary Christmas-time bar with festive decor, serving holiday-themed drinks. The Miracle on Houston Street will take over Jet-Setter beginning November 23 and through the month of December.
The idea for this annual takeover was conceived in 2014 by New Yorker Greg Boehm, who owns a bar supply company called Cocktail Kingdom.
In a statement, Boehm acknowledges that the mood in 2020 is different.
"It has undoubtedly been a tough year for everyone, and our industry has been hit hard, so some holiday cheer is in order," Boehm says. "We feel incredibly lucky to welcome back so many of our dedicated partner locations and even welcome new ones across the world, with the safety and enjoyment of our guests as our top priority."
Select locations will offer to-go cocktails, and outdoor seating areas will be set up where possible to practice social distancing.
Cocktails by Joann Spiegel employ holiday flavors and are served in playful mugs and glassware from Boehm's supply store, which they also sell. How convenient.
New cocktails for 2020 include:
- Jolly Koala with Gin, Vermouth, and Pine-Cardamom-Sage Cordial
- On Dasher, with Bourbon, Mezcal, Sweet Vermouth, Spiced Hibiscus, Burlesque Bitters, and Lemon
- Fruitcake Flip, with Brandy, Jamaican Overproof Rum, Amaretto, Fruitcake, Cherry Bitters, and a Whole Egg
Along with the Jet-Setter, the bar is popping into the following bars in Texas:
- Austin: Miracle on 5th Street (at The Eleanor by The Roosevelt Room)
- Dallas: Miracle at 2010B Greenville Ave.
- Frisco: Miracle at the Aussie Grind
- Fort Worth: Miracle on South Main
- Galveston: Miracle Daiquiri Time Out
- Houston: Miracle at Johnny’s (at Johnny’s Gold Brick)
- Waco: Miracle on Austin Ave (at Dichotomy Coffee & Spirits)