Editor’s note: As 2021 comes to a close, we look back at the most popular headlines of the year in San Antonio. This year, Alamo City readers were drawn to stories of travel hot spots and nature, the best schools and restaurants, and, naturally, H-E-B.
1. Spectacular skywalk officially opens at San Antonio’s new land bridge. Elevating nature walks to a new level, the Skywalk at Phil Hardberger Park enables pedestrians to wander through the forest canopy to the top of the Robert L.B. Tobin Land Bridge and take in picturesque views, from sunrise to sunset every day.
2. H-E-B reverses mask decision for customers after backlash. With the ideal of Texans helping Texans, the San Antonio-based grocer updated its masking policy, aiming to protect its customers, staff, and vendors by requiring all to don masks, and even provided masks to shoppers who entered without one.
3. This posh San Antonio suburb is once again named the wealthiest city in Texas. With a median household income of more than $180,000 and a practically nil poverty rate, this opulent Alamo City community backs up against a country club and consistently ranks as the richest town in Texas.
4. San Antonio eatery gobbles up No. 1 spot on list of America’s best brunches. According to local Yelpers, this donation-based nonprofit eatery that brings comfort to those in addiction-recovery programs — as well as to the restaurant’s devoted diners — dishes out the tastiest brunch in all the land.
5. H-E-B pharmacies in San Antonio to open COVD-19 vaccine appointments. The Lone Star State’s favorite grocer kicked off another pandemic year by taking care of Texans, rolling out its vaccine scheduler tool to the public and getting people vaccinated against the virus.
6. San Antonio travelers can embark on a fairy-tale getaway at this Hill Country castle. This princely abode near Lake LBJ, available to rent as a vacation home for an equally royal sum, was inspired by a 19th century German palace and definitely summons an enchanted air.
7. This San Antonio high school ranks among America’s best, says U.S. News & World Report. Among the top 100 high schools in the country, this local magnet institution made the grade, coming in as the 10th best in the state.
8. Revered Dallas taco shop opens in San Antonio with 2 prime locations. Adventurous, globally inspired eatery Velvet Taco crushed the local taco scene when it unwrapped its restaurants at Rim Crossing and near the Pearl, at the former site of San Antonio favorite Taco Land.
9. Long-awaited upscale steakhouse finally fires up first San Antonio location. After a nearly two-year wait, local carnivores were able to sink their teeth into Redlands Grill, which opened at La Cantera Heights with a meaty assortment of made-from-scratch menu offerings.
10. San Antonio lands nonstop service to Mexico hot spot from low-cost airline. With the unrelenting desire to embrace the beach-bum lifestyle, Alamo City residents basked in Sun Country Airlines’ announcement of its new direct flights from SAT to beachy Cancun, Mexico.