San Antonio pastry chef competes in new Food Network baking series
Food Network fans who spent the summer watching the 13th season of Food Network Star can now shift their focus to a sweeter subject. Best Baker in America is a new series with eight pastry chefs competing from across the country, including one from San Antonio. The series premieres on September 27.
Representing San Antonio is Susana Mijares, who owns Délice Chocolatier and Patisserie on the city's far North Central Side. She's a Food Network veteran, having competed previously on the network's Spring Baking Championship show.
Through six episodes, bakers from around the country will be tasked with challenges that test their technical proficiency and their ability to execute under pressure. Challenges include mini upside down cakes, lemon wedding cakes, macarons, baked Alaska, and crème brûlée.
Judges include Jason Smith, winner of the 13th season of Food Network Star, and Food Network's Marcela Valladolid. The winner gets $25,000 and earns the title of Best Baker in America.
The bakers competing for the title of Best Baker in America are:
- Brittani Brooker, executive pastry chef, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Andy Chlebana, pastry chef/culinary professor, Plainfield, Illinois
- Dwayne Ingraham, professional chef, Oxford, Mississippi
- Margarita Kallas-Lee, pastry chef, Los Angeles
- Adalberto Diaz Labrada, executive pastry chef, Salt Lake City
- Susana Mijares, pastry chef, San Antonio
- Thiago Silva, culinary director, Boston
- Cheryl Storms, pastry chef consultant, San Diego