best places for women
Between national headlines that illustrate the need for a #metoo movement, along with a recent U.S. Census Bureau report that female employees only earn 80.5 cents for every dollar made by their male counterparts, it’s apparent that women still face disparities in the workplace.
However, a new survey by Forbes reveals that many Texas companies are tops for women workers. Forbes partnered with market research company Statista for their first-ever ranking of America’s 300 best employers for women, which finds two Texas organizations in the top 20.
Here in San Antonio, two local companies rank among the best places for women to work: United Services Automobile Association (USAA) at No. 62, and H-E-B at No. 264.
To determine the rankings, Statista anonymously surveyed 40,000 Americans — including 25,000 women — working for businesses with at least 1,000 employees. Criteria included diversity, working conditions, job potential, gender gaps, and how likely women would recommend their employer to others.
The report lists individual scores of the top 10 companies; Austin's Keller Williams scores an 85.8, coming in at No. 6. Nationally, The Principal Financial Group (No. 1) scored a 91.4, Penn Medicine (No. 2) scored an 89.1, and Hallmark (No. 3) scored an 89.0.
For those keeping score (or potentially looking for employment), here is the full list of Texas companies empowering women in the workplace.
- Keller Williams, Austin, No. 6
- Texas Children’s Hospital, Houston, No. 11
- Fort Bend ISD, Sugar Land, No. 57
- United Services Automobile Association (USAA), San Antonio, No. 62
- Frisco Independent School District, Frisco, No. 64
- Royal Dutch Shell, Houston, No. 75
- Whole Foods Market, Austin, No. 93
- University of North Texas, Denton, No. 104
- Southwest Airlines, Dallas, No. 167
- Chuy’s, Austin, No. 188
- Texas State University, San Marcos, No. 203
- Chevron Phillips Chemical, The Woodlands, No. 210
- Academy Sports + Outdoors, Katy, No. 215
- Mary Kay, Addison, No. 217
- Half Price Books, Dallas, No. 221
- Toyota USA, Dallas, No. 222
- Kimberly-Clark, Irving, No. 229
- Schlumberger, Sugar Land, No. 235
- Tyler Technologies, Plano, No. 247
- H-E-B Grocery Stores, San Antonio, No. 264
- AT&T, Dallas, No. 281