2023 in stories
San Antonio's top travel stories of 2023 include resort relaxation and other Texas getaways
Editor's note: As 2023 comes to a close, we're looking back at the stories that defined Austin this year, and that includes travel — in and out of the Alamo City. San Antonians were most interested in getting out into the Hill Country, whether that was through road trips, weekend getaways, or trips to see the solar eclipse. Here are the top 10 travel headlines of 2023.
1. This winding Hill Country road outside San Antonio was voted one of the best scenic routes in the country. The drive passes a nature park, great barbecue, and even a motorcycle museum.
2. Book a nonstop flight out of San Antonio to these 6 summer getaway destinations. We picked locations from nearly every region in the United States (and one international destination) based on flight times, summer weather, variety of activities, and personal experiences.
3. A luxury RV and tiny home resort is coming to this Hill Country town outside San Antonio. The opportunities for Hill Country road trips and getaways continues to grow with the addition of a new luxury RV and tiny home resort in the town of Fredericksburg.
A new way to enjoy a stay in Fredericksburg has arrived. Photo courtesy of Firefly Resorts
4. Texas Renaissance Festival calls adventurers to mead up for ale, performances, and more. The Texas Renaissance Festival welcomed people of all ages to come experience the magic of the nation’s largest and most acclaimed Renaissance festival of food, fun, and immersive experiences.
5. These are the best places to watch Saturday's solar eclipse in Central Texas. Some areas of Texas only got a partial eclipse, but certain cities such as Midland, Odessa, San Antonio, San Angelo, and Corpus Christi got the best viewing experiences. Readers similarly loved reading about another Central Texas sky spectacle that occurred in August, the Perseid meteor shower.
6. 2 San Antonio resorts shine in Travel + Leisure's highly coveted World's Best Awards. The hotels' rankings are the latest accolades to get added to San Antonio's ever-growing catalog of top-tier lodging recommendations.
La Cantera Resort & Spa. La Cantera Resort & Spa/Facebook
7. 3 Central Texas tours ranked among Tripadvisor's best experiences in the nation.From sightseeing to wine-drinking, there is plenty to do on a day trip around the San Antonio area.
8. 5 late-summer girlfriend getaways within 6 hours of San Antonio. There are many fun places to squeeze in a quick getaway within a few hours of San Antonio, even if it's just an "escape from reality" at a nearby Hill Country resort.
9. San Antonio soars onto new list of best places for a long layover. Lawn Love ranked the best and worst cities for long layovers, with four Texas cities in the top 20.
10. First-of-its-kind Hill Country resort blends acclaimed Texas winery, brewery, and spa. The resort stands high on a hill overlooking U.S. Hwy. 290, just off a swerve-fast-or-you’ll-miss-it exit outside Johnson City.