San Antonio’s top travel stories of 2021 feature magical Texas getaways
Editor’s note: We’re looking back at the hottest San Antonio headlines of 2021, starting with the most popular travel stories of the year. San Antonians were drawn to getaways near and far, from magical Hill Country escapes to hot destinations just a nonstop flight away.
1. San Antonio travelers can embark on a fairy-tale getaway at this Hill Country castle. Falkenstein Castle, located on 133 acres near Lake LBJ, comes with a princely price tag.
2. San Antonio lands new nonstop to Mexico hot spot from low-cost airline. The San Antonio-Cancun route launched Memorial Day weekend with $129 one-way flights.
3. 2 Hill Country spots bloom onto new list of best state parks in U.S. In all, four Texas parks appeared on the list.
4. Luxury condo project comes ashore at popular Texas beach destination. The dreamy beach accommodations in Port Aransas are scheduled for completion in spring 2022.
5. Soaring $2.5 billion overhaul of San Antonio airport cleared for takeoff. The world-class upgrades are expected to take SAT to new heights.
6. New River Walk hotel promises to immerse you in Alamo City culture. The new Canopy by Hilton opened on the River Walk in April with a nod to local culture.
7. 8 must-stay glamping destinations in the Hill Country and beyond. From treehouses to teepees, these destinations offer R&R in the most unique settings.
8. New low-cost airline breezes into San Antonio with 3 nonstop routes. A new airline from the founder of JetBlue landed in San Antonio this summer.
9. 5 weekend trips near San Antonio for an inspired pandemic getaway. Keep this guide handy for easy Texas getaways — without the crowds.
10. San Antonio airport lands more nonstops from Southwest next spring. Southwest quietly announced it will add and resume several nonstop routes out of San Antonio in 2022.