East Side News
Favorite San Antonio bar temporarily shutters after kitchen fire
A popular East Side watering hole is recovering after a small kitchen fire broke out on June 10. Cherrity Bar chef and partner Ernie Bradley tells CultureMap that the bar and restaurant hopes to reopen on Wednesday, June 15.
Although the damage was minimal, it did disrupt operations. Initially, the concept shared on social media that operations would continue, albeit with some modifications. However, after further assessment, the team decided to close after service on June 12. A planned show from local ska-jazz sextet Rat King Cole was postponed until August 6.
“[The San Antonio Fire Department] was all over it and put it out before anything got destroyed,” Bradley tells CultureMap. “We were very lucky no one was hurt.”
Cherrity Bar opened at 302 Montana St. in March 2018 as a way to consistently support the Tourette Association of America. Since then, it has kept its charitable mission by raising monthly money for a nonprofit partner.
Even after suffering a setback from the fire, Bradley is mindful of that purpose. He is asking those community members interested in supporting Cherrity Bar to come out in force on June 18. On that day, 10 percent of the bar’s food and beverage sales will be donated to Thrive Youth Center — a local emergency shelter supporting LGBTQIA+ youth experiencing homelessness.
Throughout June, Cherrity Bar will also be donating $1 per Serenity Daiquiri sold to Thrive. The rum-based libation is named after the blue stripe of the Pride Flag.
Cherrity Bar is waiting for final approval from city inspectors to resume operations. The bar will continue posting updates on Instagram should the planned June 15 reopening be delayed.