Top San Antonio chef serves up new al fresco garden party and food fest
The past pandemic year has been no picnic for food-industry workers, but one San Antonio events space is hoping its new chef series will help change that.
On April 11, Ivy Hall Events, located at 1127 S. St. Mary’s St. and billed as “San Antonio’s hippest new venue,” will host Evenings at Ivy, a picnic-style food festival featuring seven popular Texas chefs, in its garden lounge.
All proceeds from the evening event will benefit Heard, a nonprofit that provides wellness and mental-health programs for those working in the food-and-beverage service industry, as well as the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
The chef lineup includes:
- San Antonio chef Tim McDiarmid, owner of Ivy Hall, Tim the Girl Catering, and Southtown eatery The Good Kind
- Chef Jaime Gonzalez, the executive chef at Supper, the American-style restaurant at Hotel Emma
- Italian-born chef Luca Della Casa, who appeared on Food Network Star and is the owner of Northern Italian eatery Nonna Osteria in the Fairmont Hotel
- Up-and-coming Culinary Institute of America-trained chef Cassie Ramsey
- Chef Jessie “Kirk” Kuykendall, founder of Milpa Food Truck & Catering
- Chef Alex Paredes, founder of Mexican eatery Carnitas Lonja and a 2020 James Beard Award semifinalist for Best Chef: Texas
- Beloved Austin chef Sonya Cote, founder of Eden East, Hillside Farmacy, and the new Store House Market + Eatery in neighboring Bastrop, and a 2019 fellow of the James Beard Foundation’s Women Entrepreneurial Leadership program
Along with being treated to live music performed by local band the Chris Cuevas Project, attendees of the Evenings at Ivy food fest — which McDiarmid says she hopes to make a recurring event featuring a rotating lineup of chefs from throughout the country — will get the chance to sample food from each chef’s booth. Beer, wine, and cocktails will also be available.
Tickets for the event are all-inclusive, with general admission starting at $175 per person and VIP tickets starting at $250 per person. VIP admission is limited but allows for early admission and reserved seating.