high life with wildlife
A massive 5,000-acre Texas Hill Country ranch — complete with three houses, abundant wildlife, a spring-fed creek, and several lakes — is on the market for $49.95 million.
Described as “a slice of paradise,” Northrup Pipe Creek Ranch, sits six miles west of Boerne and 25 miles northwest of San Antonio. According to Icon Global Group, which is marketing the property, the ranch is currently owned by the children of the late Dallas entrepreneur and inventor Leonard “Lynn” Northrup Jr., who died in 2016. The Northrup family has owned and operated the ranch since the early 1930s.
The property is surrounded by 6,000 acres of other privately owned ranches and is situated next to 3,000 acres of state-protected wilderness area. The ranch spans three counties in Central Texas: Bandera, Kerr, and Kendall.
“Ranching and nature come together here, with areas of wildlife habitat and multiple creeks and springs, combined with agricultural areas defined by improved pastures and fallow fields,” teases the real estate listing for the property.
The amenities of the ranch are impressive, such as:
- A 2,884-square-foot main house with four bedrooms, three-and-a-half bathrooms, and an 800-square-foot guesthouse.
- A 2,564-square foot hunting lodge with three bedrooms, two-and-a-half bathrooms, and housekeeper’s quarters.
- A 1,700-square-foot foreman’s house with four bedrooms and two-and-a-half bathrooms.
- 4.4 miles of spring-fed Pipe Creek.
- A forest featuring types of trees like pine, juniper, pecan, walnut, oak, cedar, and maple.
- A variety of wildlife, including white-tailed deer, turkeys, doves, elk, and hogs.
- A state-supervised hunting program.
- Four main lakes.
- An event pavilion overlooking one of the lakes.
The Northrup family has also taken measures to ensure the environmental protection of the land by implementing conservation programs and getting the land certified as USDA Organic.
Icon Global Group is marketing the ranch on behalf of its owners, James “Chip” Northrup and Susan Eldredge, both of Dallas. They are two of Lynn Northrup Jr.’s children.