COFFEE CONTROVERSY
Helotes locals rally after coffee chain removes heritage oak
The tree, seen to the left of this real estate photo of the old Sonic, has now been removed.
The removal of a heritage tree in Helotes is causing a big Texas to-do. Some locals are calling for a boycott after coffee chain 7 Brew removed a 100-year-old oak that many considered a local landmark.
The drama started in mid-June when it was revealed that the Arkansas-based drive-thru would tear down the tree to make room for its first Helotes location at 12405 Bandera Rd. The lot had been previously occupied by a Sonic Drive-In location, which was built around the tree.
Online furor immediately broke out over the uprooting, much of it directed at Mayor Rich Whitehead and other City Council officials. While the oak removal was the main hot topic, many were just as upset about Sonic’s closure.
In an online statement at the time, Whitehead said he had no control over either event.
“Concerning the giant oak tree in the front of the property, council does not approve or disapprove of the removal of trees. That is left up to the property owner following the city ordinances,” wrote Whitehead. “The new property owner has every right to cut down a tree as long as they follow city ordinances and mitigation processes.”
Whitehead went on to say that 7 Brew had submitted a new plan to avoid felling the oak. In a later social media post, Whitehead said the company rescinded on those plans and reverted to its previous blueprints. By July 20, the tree was gone.
“To say I am disappointed is an understatement, wrote Whitehead. “But in speaking with our city arborist who reviewed the plans and verified actions in accordance with well-established city ordinances, 7 Brew was within their rights to cut down their tree.”
That did little to quiet the brewing online anger, with several social media users calling for an informal boycott. Users of the popular Facebook group Helotes Curbside Eats argued that the tree could have been saved and expressed frustration at city officials for not drafting permit guidelines that protect similar heritage trees.
Now, 7 Brew has issued an official statement defending its actions.
“We appreciate the community's feedback regarding the tree removal at the future 7 Brew location in Helotes,” wrote the brand. “While we are disappointed that the tree could not be preserved due to the site's construction requirements, we are committed to being long-term, valued community partners.”
The coffee chain continued that it would be hosting a Caffeine for a Cause fundraiser that would donate 100 percent of its proceeds to local nonprofits. It did not state when the fundraiser would occur nor what organizations it would be supporting.
Whether the brouhaha will die down is yet to be seen, but 7 Brew has a little breathing room. The location is not expected to open until early October.
