San Antonio’s most stylish new event is optimistic about making a strong fashion statement, heralding a feather in the cap for Lone Star State designers.
Texas Fashion Week, the official fashion week for the entire state, promenades into San Antonio October 1-7 with a lineup of style-studded events. Tickets are currently on sale online for individual events.
Hardly cut from the same old cloth, Texas Fashion Week is the product of six years of research and a pilot launch in 2019 under the temporary name Fashion Week SATX. Texas Fashion Week is part of the Texas Fashion Industry Initiative, the state’s official nonprofit dedicated to the Texas fashion industry.
What’s more, the event has solidified a partnership with the Council of Fashion Designers of America, making Texas Fashion Week the first in the history of the U.S. fashion industry to garner such support from the prestigious organization.
But let’s buckle down and talk specifics. As part of its launch year, Texas Fashion Week will feature more than 200 fashion industry pros from all over the state, highlighted through a collection of fashion shows, city activations, and networking events.
Also showcasing various genres of the Texas fashion trade in support of economic development and competitiveness within the global fashion industry, Texas Fashion Week’s anchoring events this fall will exhibit fashion designers, fashion artists, fashion retailers, beauty industry professionals, and more.
With the theme of “A Pop of Optimism,” Texas Fashion Week 2021 events include:
- Kickoff Night, Friday, October 1, 6:30-9 pm, Rosenberg Skyroom at the University of the Incarnate Word, 847 E. Hildebrand Ave., $15. Meet the designers, models, “glam squad,” and more at the launch of the first-ever Texas Fashion Week.
- Fashion is Art, Saturday, October 2, 7-10 pm, Brick at Blue Star Art Complex, 108 Blue Star, $50-$65. The official celebration of bridging fashion and art, this event includes a night of fashion shows highlighting avant garde designs.
- Look Local Night, Sunday, October 3, 7-10 pm, Brick at Blue Star Art Complex, 108 Blue Star, $50-$65. This is San Antonio’s chicest incentive to shop local fashion, and will include pop-up activations, fashion shows, and more.
- Street Beat, Tuesday, October 5, 7-10 pm, Brick at Blue Star Art Complex, 108 Blue Star, $50-$65. Street Beat is all about bringing awareness to San Antonio’s local streetwear community. A fashion show will feature the area’s top designers.
- Celebrate San Antonio, Wednesday, October 6, 7-10 pm, Brick at Blue Star Art Complex, 108 Blue Star, $50-$65. The local fashion design community (and beyond) will showcase their local “wears.”
- Texas Fashion Awards, Thursday, October 7, 6-10 pm, Tobin Center for the Performing Arts. This is the red-carpet fashion event of the year. (Note: Check the website for ticket specifics, which will be released soon.)
All proceeds from Texas Fashion Week will go to the nonprofit Texas Fashion Industry Initiative.
Though this will be the inaugural Texas Fashion Week, organizers say it’s just the first stitch in a design that includes growing the local and statewide fashion industries to new heights.
“With focus on Texas Fashion Week in particular, we have a three- to five-year plan for this inaugural event that will begin as a platform for local fashion industry artists annually, will make high-fashion experiences more accessible to this market, and eventually grow into the Texas Fashion Industry Convention in later years, bringing in fashion industry professionals into San Antonio from all over the world,” says Burgundy Woods, president of the Texas Fashion Industry Initiative and founder of Texas Fashion Week.
“This is just the beginning. It is an incredibly exciting time as we spearhead so much for the future of industry and headquarter it right here in San Antonio.”