Editor's note: The Tricentennial-fueled spotlight on San Antonio may be dimming, but the world is continuing its love affair with the city. As 2018 comes to a close, we are taking a look back at CultureMap's top stories from the past 12 months. From San Antonio's hottest restaurants to the ridiculous and rich Los Henrys, here are the 10 stories that captured our imaginations (and our attentions) this year.
1. San Antonio's gem of a hotel named best in the world. In early 2018, Andrew Harper, the recently relaunched members-only travel company, released its Grand Awards. The list, which is curated by Harpers' team of anonymous reviewers, names the 20 best hotels in the world. Guess which Pearl hot spot took home the crown?
2. Wildly wealthy San Antonio family hosts celeb-filled $10 million convention center bash. Oh, those Henrys. What is there to say about this wealthy San Antonio family? Sure, they throw elaborate parties, spend millions for celebrity cameos, and even launched their own Kardashian-style YouTube show, all of which is impossibly crass ... but they sure are fun to watch.
3. San Antonio men among worst behaved singles in U.S. Dating is rough. Dating in San Antonio? Fire-pit-of-hell level bad. Match.com surveyed 5,000 singles across the U.S. and found that when it comes to dating, Alamo City men are among the worst behaved in the country.
4. Paula Deen butters up San Antonio with new restaurant in The Rim. She may not be single nor a man, but Paula Deen is certainly badly behaved. Following the backlash from her racist-fueled rants, Deen has been an apology-ish tour of the U.S. — a tour that includes adding restaurants to her empire.
5. San Antonio's 9 best independent breweries for craft beer lovers. San Antonio's reputation as a culinary powerhouse extends to its craft beer, of which it has not shortage. Check out these local breweries for the next time Lone Star just ain't gonna cut it.
6.Ridiculously rich San Antonio family throws yet another $4 million birthday bash. We don't know what else to say. This particular Henry bash featured Cardi B, a banner that read "Happy Birthday, Tom," and a Patek Phillipe watch. At the end of the night, the family floated away on a yacht, which isn't even a metaphor.
7. These 8 best restaurants prove San Antonio is one of America's hottest food cities. As the global media continues to "discover" San Antonio, attention has been increasingly paid to the city's food scene. Our annual CultureMap Tastemaker Awards nominees for the eight best restaurants in San Antonio prove just how red-hot this restaurant scene really is.
8. Where to eat in San Antonio right now: 7 smokin' hot barbecue joints. A story all about San Antonio barbecue? Talk about a meaty read! (Sorry. Couldn't resist.) From Pollos Asados Los Norteños to 2M Smokehouse, here are the city's best barbecue spots.
9. 5 favorite San Antonio shops for vintage finds and antique deals. Vintage shopping can be exhausting, disappointing, and expensive — and usually at the same time. Not so with these local gems. Uncover pieces for your latest home remodel, a new favorite frock, and everything in between.
10. Trinity University ranked best in class among all Texas colleges. After years of being passed over for the more popular group, this SA school was finally named best in class. In August, Trinity beat Rice, UT Austin, UTSA, and Texas A&M to be named the best college in the state.