San Antonio restaurant of the year and top chef revealed at 2017 Tastemaker Awards
Recently, we've introduced you to the top restaurant talent in San Antonio as part of our 2017 Tastemaker Awards. These outstanding nominees, selected by an expert panel of judges, represent the very best of San Antonio's food scene.
On Wednesday night, emcee and Texas restaurateur Tim Love revealed the winners at our annual Tastemaker Awards party, held at the Bullock Texas State History Museum in Austin.
Join us in toasting the 2017 Tastemaker winners:
Restaurant of the Year: The Bin Tapas Bar
East Grayson Street is as inviting as ever, thanks to this new restaurant from acclaimed chef Jason Dady. The Bin's patio is great for dining al fresco, and the bites are super quick and designed for sharing, if you so choose.
Chef of the Year: Stefan Bowers, Feast
Chef Bowers is over-the-top creative with his food, and it shows in every bite. His restaurants (including the just-opened Battalion) are a collective of culinary prowess. From brunch to pasta, Bowers always hits the mark.
Best New Restaurant: Sangria on the Burg
Sangria on the Burg opened quietly on Fredericksburg Road last summer. The eclectic little neighborhood bar and grill specializes in the pairing of craft sangria, margaritas, and beer with tacos, sliders, and salads from Ceasar Zepeda.
And we can't forget about our neighbors to the north. Here are the Austin Tastemaker winners for 2017:
- Restaurant of the Year: Emmer & Rye
- Chef of the Year: Todd Duplechan, Lenoir
- Rising Star Chef of the Year: James Dumapit and David Baek, Old Thousand
- Pastry Chef of the Year: Abby Love, Dai Due
- Bar of the Year: King Bee Lounge
- Bartender of the Year: Josh Loving, Small Victory
- Brewery of the Year: Hops & Grain Brewing
- Wine Program of the Year: Bufalina
- Neighborhood Restaurant of the Year: June's All-Day
- Best Burger: Contigo
- Best New Restaurant: Sophia's