One of the country’s hottest ZIP codes for homebuyers is in one of the country’s hottest cities.
A new ranking from real estate platform Opendoor puts the 78130 ZIP code in New Braunfels at No. 4 among the country’s 20 hottest ZIP codes for homebuyers.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, New Braunfels ranked fifth for population growth from July 2020 to July 2021 in cities with at least 50,000 residents. The San Antonio suburb saw its population skyrocket by 8.3 percent during the one-year period. New Braunfels is now home to nearly 100,000 people.
In May, 447 homes were sold in Comal County, the highest monthly total since September 2020. New Braunfels is the county’s biggest city. Last month’s median price of a home in Comal County stood at $432,000, up 18 percent from the same time a year earlier.
“People have found New Braunfels — the word is out,” the city’s mayor, Rusty Brockman, told The New York Times last year. “And I think we are going to continue to deal with this growth for a long time.”
Opendoor identified the top ZIP codes by analyzing data from local Multiple Listing Service programs where Opendoor operates. The ZIP codes were ranked by the total number of homes that went under contract within 90 days of listing in 2022.
In all, 10 ZIP codes in Texas — including three in San Antonio — appear in the ranking. Aside from 78130 in New Braunfels, they are:
- 78641 ZIP code in Leander (Austin) lands at No. 6.
- 77494 ZIP code in Katy (Houston) lands at No. 7.
- 75126 ZIP code in Forney (Dallas-Fort Worth) lands at No. 8.
- 77493 ZIP code in Katy (Houston) lands at No. 9.
- 77433 ZIP code in Cypress (Houston) lands at No. 10.
- 78253 ZIP code in San Antonio lands at No. 11.
- 76227 ZIP code in Aubrey (Dallas-Fort Worth) lands at No. 15.
- 78245 ZIP code in San Antonio lands at No. 16.
- 78254 ZIP code in San Antonio lands at No. 18.
In first place nationwide on Opendoor’s list is the 37042 ZIP code in Clarksville, Tennessee, northwest of Nashville.