Monarch Butterfly Festival flies into San Antonio's Brackenridge Park this weekend
One of San Antonio's favorite parks is teaming up with the Texas Butterfly Ranch to host a colorful celebration of native Texas butterflies this weekend. Taking place between 10 am and 2 pm in the Pecan Grove at Brackenridge Park on Saturday, October 8, the 2022 Monarch Butterfly & Pollinator Festival is a free, family-friendly event worth putting on your calendar.
The event is part of a month-long celebration of the beautiful pollinators, and the day's activities will include a People for Pollinators Parade, a monarch butterfly migration obstacle course for kids, butterfly tagging, live bee hive demonstrations, and more.
Hosted as a partnership between the Brackenridge Park Conservancy and the Texas Butterfly Ranch, the event brings together more than 20 community partners to educate the community on the importance of the monarch butterfly and other pollinators.
Activities will start at 10 am with the caterpillar train. Launching from the train depot in the park, the beloved San Antonio Zoo train has been transformed to resemble a monarch butterfly caterpillar with the assistance of local landscape architecture firm MP Studios. The five-car train — costumed in distinctive black, yellow ,and white stripes with a set of antennae-like protuberances on either end — will be available for rides during the festival, as well as the month of October.
According to a release, additional activations will include:
- Monarch butterfly tagging with trained docents.
- Forever Journey, a program that tags butterflies in honor of deceased loved ones.
- Monarch migration obstacle course organized by Blooming with Birdie.
- Butterfly bike rides with the Austin Bike Zoo.
- A birding tour of the park.
- Adoption events for hundreds of trees provided by the San Antonio Parks Department and pollinator-friendly native plants made available by SAWS.
To learn more about festival day offerings, check the Texas Butterfly Ranch webpage.