6 San Antonio hotels check in as best in Texas in coveted annual ranking
the inn crowd
Finding hotel accommodations for that next vacation or staycation in Texas just got a lot easier — if you have the budget. A new list released by US News and & World Report has ranked six San Antonio hotels among the best in the state. The publication collects its information through hotel ratings, customer reviews, and industry award analysis.
San Antonio's top-rated hotel on the list, Hotel Emma, made No. 4. The former brewery, more than a century old, is now one of the coolest spots for travelers in Alamo City. Its industrial style keeps the hotel from feeling pretentious, even though the whole thing is steeped in luxury and history. In addition to being visually stunning, this hotel provides easy access to Pearl foodie favorites including Larder, the hotel's own market and deli.
The next best-rated hotel in San Antonio is the Thompson San Antonio Riverwalk, at No. 7. This hotel within the Hyatt family looks more contemporary than Hotel Emma, and is known for its rooftop pool and cabanas. Landrace is one of the city's most widely known and respected restaurants, and The Moon’s Daughters, the rooftop bar, is also among the stars.
Houston’s only double five-star hotel and spa The Post Oak Hotel was awarded the No. 1 spot, known for its “tropical sanctuary” pool, nine restaurants and bars, and ultra-modern room amenities and decor. In another US News & World Report article, The Post Oak was ranked the No. 31 best hotel in the nation.
Austin had the greatest number of hotels in the top 25; Houston and San Antonio tied with six, and Dallas only garnered three, but all those cities had one each in the top four. Central Texas (considering San Antonio and hotels) contained a high occurrence of resorts that are primarily spas compared to the other regions — perhaps because of the Hill Country.
The full list of the top 25 best hotels in Texas include:
- No. 1, The Post Oak Hotel at Uptown Houston
- No. 2, Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek – Dallas
- No. 3, Commodore Perry Estate, Auberge Resorts Collection – Austin
- No. 4, Hotel Emma – San Antonio
- No. 5, Four Seasons Hotel – Houston
- No. 6, The Ritz-Carlton – Dallas
- No. 7, Thompson San Antonio Riverwalk
- No. 8, The Driskill – Austin
- No. 9, Fairmont Austin
- No. 10, Four Seasons Hotel – Austin
- No. 11, JW Marriott Houston Downtown
- No. 12, Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa – San Antonio
- No. 13, JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort and Spa
- No. 14, The Houstonian Hotel, Club & Spa
- No. 15, The St. Regis Houston
- No. 16, Austin Proper Hotel & Residences
- No. 17, Miraval Austin
- No. 18, Lake Austin Spa Resort
- No. 19, La Cantera Resort & Spa – San Antonio
- No. 20, Hotel Granduca Austin
- No. 21, Mokara Hotel & Spa – San Antonio
- No. 22, Hotel Granduca Houston
- No. 23, Omni Barton Creek Resort & Spa – Austin
- No. 24, The Ashton Hotel – Fort Worth
- No. 25, Thompson Dallas