a howling success
San Antonio barbecue staple cooks up Halloween benefit for local pets
Swap the candy this Halloween for an even tastier treat — brisket — from one of San Antonio’s favorite barbecue joints, all while supporting a doggone awesome organization.
San Antonio-based Bar-B-Cutie Smokehouse — a staple of the local barbecue community since its founding in 1948 that now has locations in Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee — is celebrating All Hallows’ Eve with a pet-friendly Howl-O-Ween party benefiting San Antonio Pets Alive.
Taking place Saturday, October 30 from noon to 4 pm at Bar-B-Cutie’s location at 5603 Presidio Parkway, the Howl-O-Ween spooktacular will feature live music, festivities for pups and their humans, and a costume contest with awards for cutest pup costume, cutest kid costume, and cutest family theme costumes. And, of course, there will be barbecue.
The event will benefit San Antonio Pets Alive, a local nonprofit that provides programs and services with the intent of eliminating the killing of at-risk animals due to lack of space, adopters, or fosters.
In addition to selling its puppucinos and puppy platters at the event (with a portion of the proceeds benefiting San Antonio Pets Alive), Bar-B-Cutie is also encouraging animal lovers to make donations onsite.
Howl-O-Ween activities and offerings will include:
- A San Antonio Pets Alive adoption tent and donation booth. The nonprofit will showcase info about its adoptable and foster pets in hopes of finding forever homes for these lovable fur balls.
- A costume contest. Dress your dogs, kids, and yourself in the best Halloween fashion, then vote for your favorite costume in three categories.
- Puppuccinos and Puppy Platters. With two different options, one for the sweet tooth and one for the meat lovers, there is something for everyone. The Puppucino features a whipped cream soufflé topped with bacon bits, while the Puppy Platter offers kibble topped with chicken breast and bacon bits.
- Human grub for the gals and ghouls. The menu will include Bar-B-Cutie’s delectable wings, smoked turkey, chicken, pulled pork, brisket, and the famous Orlie sandwich with brisket, sausage, jalapeño cheese, and onion rings.
- Local pup-friendly vendors, including Pawesome Pals, My Pooch Luv, and Welcome Mat Grooming.
- Live music from singer-songwriter Matt Kitchen from noon to 3 pm.
- A patio dining area where furry friends can get as slobbery as they like.
For more information on Bar-B-Cutie and the upcoming Howl-O-Ween party, visit the restaurant’s website.