Writing a new chapter
San Antonio's free virtual storytelling event features famous faces during holiday season
Parents know that with kids stuck at home, there has never been more pressure to think of things to do. Hemisfair and the City of San Antonio are easing some of that burden with the latest installment of #ParkItAtHome programming.
Beginning November 10 through December 29, local politicians are hitting the books and hosting special virtual storytelling sessions. The politicos will "read stories of inclusion, the fall and winter season and capturing the joy of holiday traditions shared in celebration of Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah."
Along with a special story time, participants can also access specially curated, STEAM-related activities to accompany each book. For example, for Rain Boy, which Mayor Ron Nirenberg will read this week, kids can make their own rain cloud using common ingredients found around the house. (In this case, a rain cloud will be made with shaving cream, food coloring, glass jar, water dropper, and water.) The mini scientists are then invited to share their work.
Parents/guardians can register for free, and the first 100 families to sign up will get a free Zoom link. The live storytelling sessions will begin at 10 am, with the exception of Mayor Nirenberg's on November 10, which kicks off at 9:30 am. Each event typically takes about an hour.
The special fall/winter 2020 schedule is as follows:
- Tuesday, November 10 — Mayor Ron Nirenberg
Book: Rain Boy by Dylan Glynn
- Friday, November 13 — District 7 City Councilwoman Ana Sandoval
Book: Hello, Fall by Deborah Diesen
- Tuesday, November 17 — District 5 City Councilwoman Shirley Gonzales
Book: Little Acorn by Melanie Joyce
- Friday, November 20 — District 9 City Councilman John Courage
Book: We All Belong by Nathalie Goss
- Tuesday, December 1 — District 2 City Councilwoman Jada Andrews-Sullivan
- Tuesday, December 8 — District 4 City Councilwoman Adriana Rocha Garcia
- Friday, December 11 — District 6 City Councilwoman Melissa Cabello Havrda
- Tuesday, December 15 — District 1 City Councilman Roberto Treviño
- Friday, December 18 — District 10 City Councilman Clayton Perry
- Saturday, December 19 — District 3 City Councilwoman Rebecca Viagran
- Tuesday, December 29‚ District8 City Councilman Manny Pelaez
Register for each storytelling session here. Zoom links will be distributed via email.