let's go to mexico
It's going to be a busy travel season next year. The San Antonio International Airport is adding new nonstop international flights to Torreon, Mexico, beginning June 1, 2024.
The new flights are a major improvement from previous travel options for those needing to get to Torreon. San Antonio Airport System director of airports Jesus H. Saenz, Jr. said in a statement that it was a "strategic decision" to add the Mexican city for both "business and leisure travel" reasons.
“Until now, travelers would drive nearly nine hours or take a connecting flight, resulting in 5-6 hours of travel," Saenz said. "This new service helps to connect people involved in silver refining, automotive parts and electronics industries to Comarca Lagunera – known as the ‘region of lagoons.’ It’s also a popular destination for many San Antonians with friends and family there."
The flights will be operated by Viva Aerobus, Mexico's low-cost airline, and will run on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Flights from SAT to Torreón International Airport (TRC) will depart at 12:20 pm and arrive at 1 pm, while returning flights from TRC will depart at 2 pm and arrive at SAT at 4:40 pm.
SAT's busy year of growth isn't showing signs of slowing down anytime soon. The addition of Torreon to SAT's international destination roster follows less than a month after the SAT announced its first nonstop flight to Europe will also begin in 2024.
"We are constantly working to build up our list of nonstop destinations — domestically and internationally," Saenz said. "This has been a record year for us... Now even more people will experience an authentic and elevated travel experience by flying into and out of SAT. We’re ready for that — and we’re still making big strides when it comes to getting even more nonstop flights."
Flights from SAT to TRC can be booked online at vivaaerobus.com.
- San Antonio airport resumes nonstop service to top destinations this fall ›
- Soaring $2.5 billion overhaul of San Antonio airport cleared for takeoff ›
- San Antonio airport hotel embarks on $36 million renovation following surprising shutter ›
- San Antonio International Airport clears runway for 1st nonstop flight to Europe ›
- San Antonio International Airport crowned Airport of the Year for diversity ›
- San Antonio airport lands among worst in U.S. in new study ›
- San Antonio Airport redesign takes flight with stunning new renderings ›
- San Antonio Airport flies past the rest with second shortest security wait times in the U.S. ›
- San Antonio International Airport breaks record for busiest day ever ›
- San Antonio airport launches plan to add more international nonstop flights ›