San Antonio in the spotlight among top 5 filming locations in Texas
What do Miss Congeniality, Pee Wee's Big Advenure, and Ace Venture: When Nature Calls have in common? They were all filmed mostly or partially right here in San Antonio.
According to GoCompare.com, San Antonio the fourth most filmed city in Texas with 564 movie and TV productions. (Remember in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when Pee Wee tried to look for his bike in The Alamo's non-existent basement?)
Austin is the most film city in Texas with 2,257. Those productions range from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original and the remake) to Friday Night Lights, to virtually anything local star filmmakers Robert Rodriguez and Richard Linklater have shot.
Dallas is at second place with 1,537 with such productions as Robocop, Boys Don't Cry, and, of course, the TV show Dallas doing film time there.
Houston is the third-most-filmed city for movie and TV productions — 1,279, to be exact — in Texas. Houston also boasts the most-filmed location in the state: Johnson Space Center. It's been used for the everything from Apollo 13 and Armageddon toTransformers: Dark Side of the Moon and the Clint Eastwood movie Space Cowboys. Fort Worth (where Walker, Texas Ranger shot) rounds out the top five with 331.
The site compiled the list from the "filming locations" section of the Internet Movie Database (IMDb). Overall, Texas is the third-most-filmed state — 8,164 in total — in the country. Here is the list of most-filmed (movies and TV productions) cities in Texas:
1. Austin: 2,257 (Miss Congeniality, Boyhood, Texas Chainsaw Massacre,True Grit)
2. Dallas: 1,537 (Robocop, Boys Don't Cry, Any Given Sunday)
3. Houston: 1,279 (Apollo 13, Armageddon, Urban Cowboy)
4. San Antonio: 564 (Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Miss Congeniality, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure)
5. Fort Worth: 331 (Logan's Run, Necessary Roughness, Walker, Texas Ranger)
6. Arlington: 179 (The Rookie, Prison Break, Entourage)
7. El Paso: 177 (The Counselor, The Day After Tomorrow, Man of Fire)
8: Denton: 137 (Necessary Roughness, Armageddon, Bonnie and Clyde)
9. Corpus Christi: 97 (Pearl Harbor, Selena, The Mentalist)
10: Plano: 85 (Dallas, Wishbone)