San Antonio Charity Guide
Dining out for good

Dine out for a good cause at these 5 charitable San Antonio restaurants and bars

Dine out for a good cause at these charitable San Antonio restaurants

Cured San Antonio restaurant exterior
Cured was designed to give back.  Cured/Facebook

With the hectic pace of San Antonio living, it can sometimes be difficult to make time for giving back. Luckily, plenty of Alamo City restaurants are here to give you a helping hand. Whether donating profits or sending team members out to volunteer, these eateries feed your belly and soul.

The Cherrity Bar
Plenty of bars and restaurants make donating to charity a part of their model, but few are willing to make giving back their entire gig. At this East Side bar, 100 percent of the proceeds go to organizations helping neighbors in need. The Tourette Association of America gets 10 percent each month, then the remaining 90 percent is divided in a 60/30/10 percent split. To help get everyone in the spirit, the watering hole lets guests vote for their favorite cause, deciding how the funds are allocated.

Cured
For chef Steve McHugh, blood cancer awareness is personal. Before opening his lauded Pearl eatery, he survived non-Hodgkin’s Lymphonia — a triumph that is reflected in the restaurant’s name. Today, he organizes an annual gala dinner, Cured for a Cure, that has become a huge fundraiser for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Bringing in chefs from across America, the initiative has raised over $100,000 for research into life-saving treatment. Help them give even more when the dinner returns September 9.

Hopdoddy Burger Bar
What’s better than eating a juicy burger piled with Tillamook cheddar, sweet caramelized onions, jalapeños, and hickory barbecue sauce? Knowing that $1 dollar of the purchase of the burger goes to helping youth lead service projects that benefit the whole San Antonio community. Since its founding, the Texas-based chain has offered the Goodnight Good Cause burger in each of its locations with a mission of making giving back easy. The location in The Rim is no different, partnering with the Spur’s Silver & Black Give Back Team Up Challenge to encourage kids to be more civically minded.

La Gloria
Chef Johnny Hernandez didn’t just become one of Alamo City’s beloved names by serving up delicious food. He has a real investment in the city he calls home. Eating at La Gloria and the rest of the restaurants in his hospitality group helps support Kitchen Campus, a nonprofit that encourages middle and high school students to explore culinary careers. That you can do so while enjoying some of the best margaritas and Interior Mexican cuisine in the state is a bonus.

Snooze
This brunch franchise may be based in Denver, but they strive to be a part of every community they serve. Each location is committed to landing a helping hand by giving one percent of their sales back to local causes through in-kind donations and services like volunteering. In San Antonio, the eatery has teamed up with land conservation organization Green Spaces Alliance, the San Antonio Food Bank, and Kinetic Kids — a group that provides sports and recreation programming to children with all abilities.