Sounds of Silence

City conducts major fundraising efforts to save San Antonio Symphony

City conducts major fundraising efforts to save San Antonio Symphony

San Antonio Symphony
The San Antonio Symphony scored a major cash infusion this week. San Antonio Symphony/Facebook

After the San Antonio Symphony fell silent last week due to budget issues, it appeared that the remainder of the season was in jeopardy. Now, thanks to a speedy cash infusion, it appears the symphony will make music again.

On January 9, Mayor Ron Nirenberg and Bexar County judge Nelson Wolff announced they were conducting a fundraising effort to save the remainder San Antonio Symphony's 2017-18 season. In a release, Nirenberg announced that the city would pay the remaining $368,000 budgeted for the symphony (payments were temporarily halted after the season was canceled).

“I firmly believe that the community wants to see a world-class symphony orchestra continue and thrive in San Antonio," said Nirenberg in a news release. "However, the City and county cannot solve the financial difficulties of the symphony by ourselves. We hope to encourage patrons and corporate donors to increase their financial support.”

In order to kick start that support, Wolff announced that on January 16 county officials will consider a proposal in which the county will match private donors dollar-for-dollar up to $350,000. The symphony has previously said they need $2.5 million in order to complete the season.

City officials aren't the only ones rallying in support of the group. The symphony's music director, Sebastian Lang-Lessing, told Texas Public Radio that the government funding coupled with donations from private and corporate patrons could set the tone for a successful remaining season.